Juicing can be a wonderful way to improve your health, curb your appetite, and feel great. The natural vitamins and minerals in produce help your body perform better in several ways. This is why several people who are trying lose weight or build muscle turn to juicing.
When you first get your juicer, you are going to want to try every recipe you see online until you find something you like. While you will no doubt find something tasty, you might not be enjoying the best drink to meet your goals. Different vitamins and minerals can affect the body in a variety of ways. If you want to achieve better results, you are going to need to make a custom juice recipe.
Before You Start
Before you begin your juicing journey, make sure you have the right equipment. You’ll need a high-quality juicer that can quickly crush the juice out of your produce. To encourage a healthy lifestyle, choose a versatile machine that can make a wide variety of fresh choices. Some of the best juicing machines allow you to make peanut butter, hummus, or salsa from scratch. If you would like an example of the machine you will need, have a peek here.
In addition to needing the right machine for the job, you will also need the right produce. While older fruits and vegetables may seem juicier, you are better off using the freshest produce you can find. Shop seasonally to ensure the produce you’re enjoying wasn’t picked months ago or stuffed with preservatives. While you can used canned fruits and vegetables, you will get the best (and healthiest!) results by using fresh produce.
What Goes in a Juicer?
The best juices are going to be a mix of fruits and veggies, but you can choose anything you like. The reason most people use a fruit is because it is naturally sweet. This helps disguise the bitter taste of some vegetables. For example, spinach and parsley are both found in juice recipes, however, they can taste bitter. Their subtle flavor is quickly overpowered by apple or pineapple, allowing you to get an enjoyable drink that you can look forward to.
Knowing What to Pick
Creating the perfect recipe can be easy. Here is a simple breakdown of some of the best fruits and vegetables and how they affect the body:
- Apples – this fruit is known for its super-sweet taste and ability to curb appetites, boost the immune system and reduce cholesterol. This makes it a great base for a juice drink.
- Berries – most berries are packed with delicious antioxidants, regardless of the variety. Each type of berry has its own nutritional value. Blueberries are great for supporting a healthy heart. Acai berries help support cognitive functions, including concentration. Cranberries are great for cleaning the urinary tract. Strawberries are packed with vitamin C, helping you feel more energetic. While you can add one type of berry to your juice mix, most people grab a handful of mixed berries.
- Pineapples – this tropical treat is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Part of its sweet taste comes from its high bromelain content, which is known for helping the body absorb nutrients in the digestion process.
- Oranges – sweet citrus fruits are an excellent choice for those trying to overpower the taste of other ingredients. Like most citrus, oranges are known for their vitamin C, B vitamins, and dietary fiber.
- Spinach – one of the most nutrient-rich leafy greens, spinach is a major source of calcium and antioxidants. It is also a negative calorie food, making it very diet friendly.
- Carrot – this delightfully sweet vegetable is a smart choice for eye support and boosting the immune system. It is packed with nutrients, making it a go-to for many juicers.
- Celery – if you are trying to clean out your system, most people recommend celery. Another negative calorie food, this potassium-rich veggie is comprised of mostly water.
- Wheatgrass – while most people have never heard of it, this nutrient-dense plant is perfect for juicing. Because it contains so many different vitamins, minerals, and enzymes, it is often used by people wanting to cleanse their systems or boost their immune system.
It is impossible to list every fruit and vegetable that you can include in juice. Experiment with a wide range of vegetables to make sure you are always getting the nutrients your body needs. You’ll be surprised by how many different combinations you can make.